DARK QUARTERER @ Metal on Metal Records

Pure Steel, Cruz Del Sur, Metal On Metal, Metal Coven etc...

Moderatoren: Markus(PureSteel), steel-prophet, Skullview

DARK QUARTERER @ Metal on Metal Records

Beitragvon Jowita » 20. Februar 2015, 20:43

After the announcement about signing of the young but extremely talented thrash/power metal band from UK, RISEN PROPHECY (please check it out HERE and let us know what you think! :) ), we are chuffed to announce the start of the co-operation with a legendary band from Italy, a group which we consider one of the best if not THE best band coming from this country. DARK QUARTERER, known also as the pioneers of the epic/progressive style (and sometimes called "the Italian MANILLA ROAD"), have signed with Metal on Metal for the release of their just recorded 6th full-length album "Ithaca". Those who know us well, know that we're not really into progressive metal, as the majority of it is too cold, sterile and soulless for our taste (the typical "Dream Theater" effect - music for other musicians mostly), but DARK QUARTERER are the polar opposite of most progressive metal bands (perhaps also because their style is more of an amalgam of '70s progressive rock with early '80s epic heavy metal, and some elements of doom): their music is warm and full of emotions. Spellbinding, unconventional, quirky... There are many adjectives that could describe it, but one thing is for sure: you just can't mistake DARK QUARTERER for any other band.

Gianni Nepi, the band's vocalist/bassist commented:
"We've known Simone and Jowita for years. They often came to our concerts, and there's always been a great, friendly relationship between us. Oftentimes Jowita would take photos at our shows and share them with us. We've had the chance to see the quality of their releases, and when we needed a new label, it seemed natural to consider their involvement. We met several times before finalizing the terms of the agreement, and we believe it's a great opportunity to keep on releasing our albums in the best way possible."

My first meeting with DARK QUARTERER and their unique music was in 2004, at the Keep It True II festival. I had not heard any song of that band before, and I was enchanted on the spot. We've kept in touch ever since and by now we've seen the band live over a dozen of times... and each time they sounded incredible, no matter if they played on a big stage or in a small club or a biker bar. A spotless performance is a guarantee with thhis band. Such level of talent and professionalism is rare these days indeed. It's an honour for us to be working with this legendary band that also happens to be comprised of true gentlemen.

Bild

DARK QUARTERER started out in 1980 in Piombino (Tuscany), though the roots of the band date back to 1974 (when they played covers as OMEGA R), and released their self-titled debut album in 1987. They've gained their cult underground following through five studio albums (re-released over the years several times) and many live performances, including shows at prestigious festivals all over Europe, where they were often considered the highlight of the events, consolidating their reputation as an amazingly good live band. They've played in Germany (at Keep It True, twice at Hammer of Doom and at Metal Forces festival), Sweden (at Muskelrock), Denmark (at Metal Magic), Norway (Metal Merchants), Malta (twice at Malta Doom Metal festival), Greece (Up the Hammers), Austria (Doom Over Vienna), Cyprus (Power of the Night festival), France (Teilia Prog Fest), as well as in UK, and obviously at a great many Italian events (including festivals with international billings like Play It Loud and Play It Doom).
With the founding members Gianni Nepi (vocals/bass) and Paolo "Nipa" Ninci (drums), and the line-up that's been steady since 2003, the band has just recorded their new work. "Ithaca" is a concept album utilizing the Homeric return journey of Odysseus to his home island as a metaphor for the journey of life. The CD is set to be released this April.

Most of you probably already know this band, but you may find some facts you have not known about checking their newly re-written detailed biography on the DARK QUARTERER page on our website. Check out also the photo galleries, especially the live photos to see the band in action!

Gianni Nepi and Paolo "Nipa" Ninci signing the contract:

Bild
Jowita
Prog-Rock-Fan

Re: DARK QUARTERER @ Metal on Metal Records

Beitragvon steel-prophet » 21. Februar 2015, 02:42

Great signing, Jowita. Can´t wait to hear some new stuff from this legend. ;-)
steel-prophet
METAL GOD

Beitragvon Siebi » 21. Februar 2015, 11:29

... and then they'd like to tour in Germany with Adramelch, Midryasi and Memento Waltz.
Quattro stagioni d'Italia in Germania! Forza! Tickets NOW! :smile2:
Siebi
Spaceman

Beitragvon Fire Down Under » 21. Februar 2015, 16:55

Gianni Nepi's hat is missing. :smile2:
:ahasoso:

Rumpelkammer

Pommes und Katzen.
Fire Down Under
Rumpel-Pirat

Beitragvon Hugin » 22. Februar 2015, 00:15

Congratulations!

Can't wait!
"It takes a thousand fans from any other band to make one Manowarrior!"
- Sir Dr. Joey DeMaio, 2012

Primitivsoundkunst: http://www.morbid-alcoholica.com/

2016 A.Y.P.S. = 0 A.R.C.U.
Hugin
Leather Lucifer

Beitragvon Jowita » 20. April 2015, 23:18

First of all, thank you for your comments, guys! :smile2:
Well, it's been quite an ordeal finalizing this release, as we practically had to fight to keep the visual side quality on a certain level (yeah, strange, isn't it?). Constant changes of mind didn't help, but in the end we've managed to reach some kind of a compromise and got album cover which is acceptable. I don't know, maybe it's not really worth to spend time and effort on the visual aspect and nobody cares what the covers and booklets of albums look like, but being first and foremost an artist and a graphic layouter, we just can't let it go.

What do YOU think? Does it really matter what releases look like? Is it important to you?
I guess in a case of a band like DQ, it doesn't really influence the sales, because they have lots of fans who'll buy the CD anyway, but on the other hand, we think that this doesn't excuse having sub-par packaging (on the contrary, they deserve to have something matching their music in quality).

Bild
Cover art by Alice Bertoncini (http://www.alicebertoncini.it).

Anyway, the album will be out at the Keep It True festival, together with our other releases, STONEGRIFF "Come Taste the Blood", RISEN PROPHECY "Into the Valley of Hinnom", ARKHAM WITCH "Get Thothed Vol. I" and VV.AA. "Compendium of Metal Vol. 8" (we're going to send a newsletter about the latter 2 and about our 2015 release schedule tomorrow!). So, if you want it and you're at KIT, you can get it directly from our stand there (also in a bundle with T-SHIRT). As always, we'll have the 3CDs for 30 Euro discount there (valid for all CDs which normally cost 12 Euro). Otherwise, it's available for pre-ordering from our SHOP until April 24th, with 2 Euro discount. Like I mentioned in the post about STONEGRIFF, we have changed the shipping rates to German, as we'll be using Deutsche Post for sending pre-orders, and we'll keep this postage for a couple more days after KIT 'cause we're going to stay in Germany until the end of the month.

Bild

Since I think DARK QUARTERER don't really need much introduction here, I'll just leave you with the links to their music... 2 songs off the album, "Escape" and "Last Fight" are available for streaming from Bandcamp HERE.

And here's the album promo clip (featuring a fragment of "Night Song"):

You can find the track list and more info about "Ithaca" on the page of this release.

Jowita
Prog-Rock-Fan

Beitragvon Raf Blutaxt » 21. April 2015, 09:01

I think you were absolutely right to fight for a high quality artwork and packaging. There has been so much thought and work put into the music and lyrics of the album that it would in fact harm the overall impression to have a low quality artwork.
The people united can never be ignited.
Raf Blutaxt
Leather Lucifer

Beitragvon Jowita » 21. April 2015, 15:55

Raf Blutaxt hat geschrieben:I think you were absolutely right to fight for a high quality artwork and packaging. There has been so much thought and work put into the music and lyrics of the album that it would in fact harm the overall impression to have a low quality artwork.

Yeah, that's exactly what we think, but still I guess for most of the fans it doesn't matter that much.
It's not even surprising that there are many bad cover arts around - after all, only a small % of musicians or label owners have artistic skills and good judgement for visual arts, and they either prepare the covers by themselves or accept whatever is offered to them.

By the way, thanks a lot for your amazing review on Powermetal.de! :) I still need to translate it properly (I want to post some excerpts on our FB page).
Jowita
Prog-Rock-Fan

Beitragvon Hugin » 28. April 2015, 21:26

Both as a fan and as a bandmember who might probably release an album sooner or later, I am very much into the philosophy of a properly done, exciting and fitting artwork to support the music. I think it's actually very annoying to have great music accompanied by a subpar cover-artwork. Of course I would never not buy a new album of a favourite band, just because it has a cheap or dull artwork; but still the artwork does mean a lot to me. I also think it does help a lot in terms of merch sale, and in attracting people who are not already fans of a band.
"It takes a thousand fans from any other band to make one Manowarrior!"
- Sir Dr. Joey DeMaio, 2012

Primitivsoundkunst: http://www.morbid-alcoholica.com/

2016 A.Y.P.S. = 0 A.R.C.U.
Hugin
Leather Lucifer

Beitragvon Loomis » 28. April 2015, 21:41

Not to forget that one could do great merchandising from a great Album artwork whereas one can only do ugly shirts from an ugly artwork (and then no one will buy it). :wink:
Loomis
Sacred Metal-Legende

ZurĂĽck zu Heavy Metal labels